Joomla 2.5 to Joomla 3 Upgrade
In this tutorial, we’re going show you how to update from Joomla 2.5 to Joomla 3.
The update process from Joomla 2.5 to 3 does work and in this tutorial, we’re going to show you how to use it.
1) Create a backup
- Make sure you create a full backup of your site.
2) Make sure everything is up-to-date
- Go to Exetensions > Extension Manager
- Make sure that all your extensions are up-to-date
- Make sure you’re running the latest version of Joomla 2.5. At the time of this writing, it’s Joomla 2.5.8.
3) Check your system for Joomla 3 compatibility
At the time of this writing, Joomla does not have a pre-upgrade check yet, however it’s an upcoming feature that will be added soon. Until then, you must check things manually.
- Go to Site, then System Information.
- Check all your settings from within this tab and compare them to the required/recommended settings at http://www.joomla.org/technical-requirements.html
- If your site meets all the requirements, you are ready to update.
4) Check your extensions for Joomla 3 compatibility
There will also be a custom extension check in the new pre-upgrade check; However, until then, you need to check with your extension developers’ sites, documentation, and/or support as to whether the extensions are Joomla 3 compatible. This step includes your template(s) as well.
5) Create a test site
Once you’re sure that all your extensions are compatible, create another backup and a test site on the same server in a subfolder (be sure to create a copy of the database and not use the same one).
6) Test the upgrade in the test site
- Go to Components, then Joomla! Update
- Click the Options button
- Change the Update Server to Short Term Support
- Click Save & Close
- Finally, on the test site, click the “Install the update”. If all goes well, then you can do the same steps on the live site.
- Note: if the “Install the update” doesn’t appear right away, you may need to go to Extensions (top menu) >> Extension Manager (sub menu) >> Update (tab) >> Purge Cache (button – far right).
- Note: after upgrading, check in Extensions (top menu) >> Extension Manager (sub menu) >> Database (side menu) and make sure there are no errors. If there are some, click on fix button.
Enjoy your new Joomla 3 site!